The hardwood flooring process is a journey, from selecting your favorite styles and determining the appropriate wood species for your needs to finally installing your new floors. Work with our team to find products from the most trusted names in the flooring industry, including Green World European White Oak from Houston’s own Green World Industries.
Here at Roberts Carpet & Fine Floors, we know hardwood floors are a significant investment for most homeowners. That’s why we offer full-service hardwood installation for all of our valued clients – to ensure that the job is done properly the first time. Whether you’re designing a custom home or outfitting a high rise residency, our hardwood flooring experts are here to help you work through every. Below are some tips for designing with hardwood, as well as more detail about your options for plank edges & hardwood species.
- When it comes to color, darker hardwood floors will help create a more formal feel while natural tones & lighter hues like grey hardwood floors help produce a more casual look.
- Whether you use “strips” (narrow boards) or “planks” (wider broads), you can use board widthto play off the dimensions of your rooms.
- Strips will help you expand the look of a room while planks are ideal for larger rooms.
3 Types of Hardwood Edges:
- Square Edge: All edges meet squarely for a uniform, smooth surface that works well in more contemporary or formal rooms.
- Eased Edge: Also called micro-beveled edge, these edges are slightly beveled to length and/or end joints, which hides irregularities.
- Beveled Edge: These edges have distinctive grooves that allow them to be sealed completely, perfect for informal & country chic design schemes & for easy removal of dirt.
- Lighter colored wood variety
- Extremely popular & always on-trend
- Exceptionally strong, heavy, and durable
- Beautiful grains & swirls prominently displayed
- Smooth, low gloss finishes
- Excellent for classic, rustic, contemporary, & coastal rooms
- Warm red and brown hues
- Tight, wavy grain appearance
- Softer wood variety
- Provides tremendous warmth
- Suits a wider plank format
- Great for low-traffic rooms like bedrooms & dining rooms
- Wide range of hues from light cream to medium brown
- Fantastic natural color variation
- Distinctive, eye-catching graining
- Displays large knots & wood character
- Can often feature dark streaks
- Wider plank showcases characteristics without looking busy
- Provides fantastic durability
- Excellent fit for high-traffic areas
- Ideal for rustic, country appeal
- Airy wood shades
- Graining is very light and fine
- Specks are common and add visual interest
- Provides exceptional hardness
- Highly durable throughout the home
- Excellent for contemporary & transitional designs
- Ranges from golden, amber tones to deep reds
- Large swirling grain patterns
- Adds warmth & coziness
- Showcases large knots & pitch spits
- Soft wood species
- A better fit for light activity
- Cost-effective hardwood choice
- Perfect for crafting rustic charm
- Rich, warm brown coloring
- Graining is fine & straight
- Smooth, consistent visual appearance
- Adds dramatic sophistication
- Softer wood species
- Best suited for medium to light foot traffic
- Showcases hardwood luxury in dining rooms
- Extreme color variation
- Rich red, brown, & blonde tones
- Tremendous hardness
- Highly durable option
- Unique graining provides visual interest
- Color becomes richer over time